There are two ways to join CIVICUS: invitation or self-nomination. Each year we invite a select number of talented incoming first-years to join the CIVICUS Living and Learning Program, a two-year citation program that focuses on community service learning, advocacy, and leadership development. We invite students whose applications to the University of Maryland show a strong interest in community service, leadership, advocacy, and/or political engagement. If you have not been invited, but are still interested in joining CIVICUS, you can nominate yourself! We hope that you will join us.
Are you committed to serving your community and creating social change? CIVICUS might be a match for you. If you're interested in being considered for the CIVICUS program but didn't receive an invitation, consider completing our self-nomination form.
Applications for self-nomination will be reviewed and decisions sent in early May.
How to Accept Your Invitation
Invitees must complete the following three steps BEFORE May 1:
You are NOT automatically enrolled into CIVICUS!
- Submit the CIVICUS Response Form on your Terps Application Portal Checklist online.
- Submit the Decision Response on your Terps Application Portal Checklist online.
- Complete the Housing/Dining Services Agreement at reslife.umd.edu
Step 1 Details:
- Login to your Terps Application Portal
- Navigate to the checklist
- Select the CIVICUS Program Response Form
- Fill out the form and click "Submit"
- You will then see a window confirming your submission went through
- You will also receive a confirmation email. Please allow 24 hours to receive this email
- Remember to submit your response as soon as possible but no later than May 1st!
All first-year CIVICUS students must live in Somerset Hall.* Please note - accepting your invitation will not automatically enroll you in housing at UMD. To be eligible for housing and a room in Somerset Hall, you must complete the 2021-2022 Housing/Dining Services Agreement at reslife.umd.edu prior to May 1, 2021. If you have completed your Housing/Dining Agreement and accepted your invitation to CIVICUS, you will automatically be placed in Somerset Hall.
*CIVICUS has a residency requirement and all students living on campus must live in Somerset Hall. For Fall 2021, if you have an exceptional circumstance and must live at home, please reach out to us to discuss the possibility of an exemption from the requirement.